Friday, 29 May 2009

Creating the Gigs Page

Louise's curtain didn't look right so I found one on iStockPhoto and changed it by 'live tracing' it in Illustrator to make it blend in better.


I put the inside curtains on separate layers so I could use Motion Tween to create the pulling apart effect. I found a nice stage image too from iStock. I deleted the background though so it would sit nicely in the background scene.


The bricks effect took a long time as I used one graphic and repeated it many times so I could delete the bricks a few at a time on every frame to make it look like the wall was falling down.


Here's how that effect looks like in the browser! Using single frames to create the action made it look seamless. I had tried it previously using every two frames but it didn't flow as well.


Once the bricks fell down the puppet master was behind moving the characters around.


I thought it would bring an extra dimension to the page if I could make the puppet master keep on moving after everything had loaded. I managed this from what I had learnt from the Band page bubbles and Lyrics/Gallery page clouds.


And here I made the links and Gigs information into buttons. Next is creating a movie clip from the Gigs info links. I had thought about either making the link itself fall onto the stage, bounce and then enlarge and show the information. Or on clicking the link, bricks fall down again and a sign or something comes down with the information on. After asking a few people the latter was preferred so this is what I'll do!


To create the bricks building up again I reversed the original bricks falling down sequence


Whilst looking through istock for a screen image I saw an image of a spotlight appearing on the curtains. I really like this idea, so will see if this works better. Here I am working with the gradients to see if I can make it the spotlight look fairly realistic.


I needed to create new buttons that weren't clickable when the movie clip was playing


It works! The spotlight looks quite realistic and the curtains draw as I wanted them to. It's a nicer backdrop to the bricks aswell so I'm very happy

No comments: